Learning to Read: Bingo goes to School, level 9
Hi, my name is Mrs Symons, I am a Reading Recovery teacher and I lead Reading across the Cabot Learning Federation. These sessions are perfect for children who are learning to read, working their way up through the colour book bands at school. I will post a new session every day and each week we will move up to the next book level.
The reading lesson in the video below is based on a blue level 9 book, when listening to a child read at this level, it is useful to note the following:
- Tackle one skill over a few reads. Give them lots of praise when you catch them doing it!
Help them to do the following more and more by themselves :
· Cope with different layouts of writing – including labels \ titles in non-fiction texts
· Notice full stops, speech marks question and exclamation marks and begin to use them to read with expression and rhythm
· Notice and correct more of their own mistakes
· Re-read a phrase or sentence to confirm their first read or to improve expression and understand the story better
· Work out new words by looking at individual letters and chunking letters together and sounding out
· Talk about the book and show they understand the story
Here is our latest reading session: