Networking – LAN/WAN
Websites to support your knowledge
What is a network – do we need them?
A network is two or more computers (or other electronic devices) that are connected together, usually by cables or Wi-Fi.
Advantages of a Network?
A network allows you to share devices. Think about what happens in your school.
- Everyone can share the printer
- You can log onto any computer in any classroom and access your files
- The school only has 1 internet connection – this is shared for every device
Disadvantages of a network?
- Maintain – People get paid in the school to ensure the network is working this costs money. Equipment often has to be replaced
- Privacy – Your data is being shared with other computers it makes it easier for your data to be seen by others.
- Setup Cost – Computers do not do this automatically you need to buy hardware to make this happen
A) Make a list of all the devices that maybe connected together in your house.
B) What are the advantages of these devices being connected in a LAN.
C) Give 1 disadvantage of having all these devices connected together.
LAN and WAN
Local area Network:
This is a network where a group of devices (nodes) are connected in a local geographical area. This means in a building and someone is responsible for the network. It is created so data/hardware can be shared
Wide area Network:
This network is a group of networks connected over a wider geographical area spreading over entire countries or continents. This means a collection of networks not owned by a single company/person
- The internet
- Mobile 4G network
A) Describe why your school network would be classed as a LAN
B) Give 3 examples of different LAN’s you may have connected to – use the internet to help you
C) What hardware is shared in your school and house?
There are more than 2 types of network. Using the internet research different types of networks the site below will support you.