In this session you will
Revise what binary is
Learn how to convert denary numbers into binary
Be able to convert binary numbers into denary
Before you start writing binary please revise the following keywords!!
- Binary A number system that contains two symbols, 0 and 1. Also known as base 2.
- Data Units of information. In computing there can be different data types, including integers, characters and Boolean. Data is often acted on by instructions.
- Denary The number system most commonly used by people. It contains 10 unique digits 0 to 9. Also known as decimal or base 10.
- Place value The value of the place, or position, of a digit in a number.
Getting started: How do we convert denary numbers to binary?
Converting denary to binary
This is the binary conversion for number 12.
- To make 12, You go to the left of the table and find the first number in the second row that fits into 12.
- It goes into 8 once so you put a one in that column.
- It goes once into 4 so you put a one in that column.
- This has now made 12 so all the other columns get a zero in and then you have your binary number.
- To make 37, It goes once into 32.
- Then there is not enough left over to use 16 and 8 so the next one it goes into is 4.
- There is not enough left for 2 so it then goes into 1.
- All the other columns are then zero.
Task 2: Converting binary to denary
Bronze: Convert the following numbers into denary ( Use the table model in Task 1 to help you)
a) 00011000, b) 00000101, c) 00010110, d) 01101011, e) 01111000, f) 11111010
Silver: Find the answers to these facts!!
|Gorillas sleep as much as 1110 hours per day|
|On average, 1100 new-borns will be given to the wrong parents daily.|
|A giraffe can clean its ears with its 10101 inch tongue!|
|A man named Charles Osborne had the hiccups for 1000101 years!|
|More than 110010% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call|
Here are the answers once you have finished each challenge – do not cheat!
|Example: Gorillas sleep as much as 1110 hours per day||0||0||0||0||1||1||1||0||8 + 4 + 2 = 14|
|On average, 1100 new-borns will be given to the wrong parents daily.||0||0||0||0||1||1||0||0||4+8= 12|
|A giraffe can clean its ears with its 10101 inch tongue!||0||0||0||1||0||1||0||1||1+4+16=21|
|A man named Charles Osborne had the hiccups for 1000101 years!||1||0||0||0||0||1||0||1||1+4+128=133|
|More than 110010% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call||0||0||1||1||0||0||1||0||2+16+32=50|